Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Not Just a Cog

Sadly, I learned the week before Thanksgiving that I am just another cog in the machine.  Just an easily replaceable body that can be discarded with a second thought or valid reason.

On Tuesday morning, I was busy planning company Christmas parties, organizing holiday activities and updating employee training information.  I was looking forward to a busy few weeks.  I was hoping that I could impress my employers enough to change my status from "Pre-hire" to "Permanent".

Tuesday afternoon I attended one of the plant-wide meetings.  I saw my ideas and handiwork presented to the plant.  No credit was given to me and none was expected.  I was just doing my part to help the company prosper.Before the end of the meeting, I was called into the HR manager's office and told I would not become a true employee of the company.  My services as a temporary employee would no longer be needed after the holidays

I was stunned.

My work was praised by everyone.  I volunteered to help whoever needed help.  I poured myself into the company trying to achieve the coveted status of "EMPLOYEE with BENEFITS".

My sadness resulted in my termination less than 24 hours later.  I didn't yell.  I didn't confront anyone or beg to be hired in as a permanent employee.  I was just sad and a couple people caught me crying before I could leave for the day.

The HR manager didn't like my reaction.  I still do not understand why it was such a big deal to her.  I was trying to come to grips with the end of yet another shot at employment.  Since 2006, I have been trying to get a full time job.  This was the closest I'd ever come to one.

My extensive education has done nothing to help me find work.  I can't even get interviews for minimum wage positions.  When I do get an interview, I am told that I am overqualified but "surely you will easily find something more suitable".

Yes, I was sad to hear I would not finally get to become a full fledged employee.

But, the way I was "cancelled" devastated me.  I could have understood if I had not been able to do the work or if there had been any complaints about me at all.  I did the work above and beyond their expectations.  I had no issues with any of the employees including the HR manager (at least before she fired me).

Still, I was replaced in the blink of an eye.  To her, it was a minor inconvenience calling the temp agency.  To me, it was my livelihood destroyed.