Thursday, January 31, 2013

Do Vaccines Cause Autism? NO!

Do Vaccines Cause Autism?  

Shortly after my youngest son was born as I lay in the hospital waiting for my newborn to come back from the nursery, a nurse asked me if I was planning to vaccinate my baby.  Yes, of course I am.  She proceeded to tell me about the connection between autism and the MMR vaccine. She also recommended against vaccination.  I disagreed and she dismissed it and told me to investigate it.

She didn't realize that I had already investigated it.  At that point in time our son with autism was 5 years old.  He was still essentially non-verbal but making progress.  I could still take him with me to buy his older brother's birthday present and have no worries that the surprise would be ruined.  I did not want to do anything that would cause this newborn baby to suffer as Gabe had.

This nurse didn't realize I had worked in immunology labs for several years.  I had studied the human immune system and done research on influenza vaccines.  I knew all about the reasons for immune responses and worked with mice that had severely compromised immune systems.  After Gabe was diagnosed I studied the literature.  I studied the scientific literature.  I did not rely on actors, mass hysteria and the media.  

I also knew what would happen if I didn't vaccinate and many others didn't as well.  There is a scene in the movie "John Adams" that illustrates how precious a gift our vaccinations are.  During the time of the Revolutionary War, small pox was prevalent.  To help protect her children from small pox, Mrs. Adams had them infected with a small part of live small pox.  The children got sick and all eventually recovered.  We have come a long way from that crude form of protection.  Yes, people died from the vaccine but far fewer than died from the disease.  It was a risk they were willing to take.  The alternative was a high probability of death from small pox.  

Autism Inc.: The Discredited Science, Shady Treatments and Rising Profits Behind Alternative Autism Treatment

This article summarizes my years of research.  The article that linked autism and MMR vaccines was discredited and the researcher stripped of his credentials.  That article caused a great deal of independent research into the topic which found no link.  People say' "He started showing signs at 18 months after the vaccine." 

One of my professors drilled into our heads, "Correlation does not equal causation".  Just because two thing happen at similar times or following one another does not mean that they are in any way related.

I would actually like there to have been a link.  Just think about it.  If there had been we would be well on our way to significantly reducing the number of children diagnosed with autism every year.  The number continues to rise despite all the changes to the vaccines.

I have my own theories.  My son's type of autism is hereditary.  It comes from my father's family.  It is aggravated by the environment.  Many of the things that over-stimulated my son and caused problems were not part of the world to generations ago.  As my son has grown, he has been able to learn to deal with many of the things that make his life more difficult.  This is only one type of autism.


Until we are able to tease apart the various types of autism that are totally unrelated to one another, we have no hope of finding a cause.  In other words, there is no single cause because it is not a singular disease.  It is a syndrome comprised of an unknown number of separate conditions each having its own cause and effect.  



Amazon.com: Striving for Independence: Ways to Help Children with Disabilities Learn to Function More Indepedently eBook: Kristan Payne: Kindle Store